Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.

Coat of Arms

Information

Picture with representation of the town, province or borough.

This is a reproduction of the Borough Coat of Arms. On the black shield is shown, in gold, a hide and a sheaf of wheat and, in silver, two cogwheels. These combine to record the marriage of the urban and rural areas of the Borough and represent the leather used in the footwear industry and its allied trades, agriculture and food production, which with engineering are the three main historical activities in the Borough. The five red diamonds (or lozenges) refer to the five former local authorities, the amicable uniting of whose areas upon the reorganisation of local government in 1974 to form the Borough of Kettering is further symbolised by the conjoining (or touching together) of the diamonds on the silver horizontal bar. The diamonds derive from the Arms of the Montagus of Boughton in whom part of the Manor of Kettering was vested.

Above the shield are the helmet and mantling incorporated in all Arms granted to the Boroughs. The crest also depicts Geddington Cross which is an outstanding historical monument in the Borough, and one of the three remaining Crosses erected by King Edward 1 at each place where the body of his wife Queen Eleanor of Castile rested overnight on its journey from Lincolnshire to Westminster Abbey in 1294. The blue and white waved lines within the circles at both sides of the base of the Cross are heraldic fountains symbolising the formation of the Baptist Missionary Society at the Mission House in Lower Street, Kettering, in 1792. The black birds shown without feet (martlets) in the circles are taken from the Arms of the Watsons of Rockingham recognising the vesting of the remaining part of the Manor of Kettering in the Watson family.

The supporters consist of a female figure taken from the Arms of the Dukes of Buccleuch and Queensberry, who descend from the Montagu family and a male figure with a broken chain symbolising the pioneer and triumphant work of William Knibb in the cause of the freedom of slaves. Knibb was born in Market Street, Kettering in 1803.

The motto is translated as Progress and Concord.

NB: Use of the Kettering Borough Coat of Arms is prohibited without the express permission of the Council

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.