How to Make Your Benefit/Support Claim
Claim in Writing
Under Housing and Council Tax Support law your claim for benefit/support must be made in writing, either on a benefits application form or by letter.
You can get an application form by telephoning 01536 534235, visiting one of our Customer Service Centres, download a copy of the claim form which you can print out and return to us or you can request an application form online and we will send it out in the post to you.
If you want to make a claim, but are not sure if you will qualify, please contact us straight away.
Do not delay in returning your benefit application form to us as benefit/support is usually paid from the Monday following the date that the written application is received.
- answer all of the questions that are applicable
- your benefit/support cannot be calculated until we receive all of the proof, but don't let this delay sending the form back - you can always send the proof in later
- If you supply all the evidence required we will guarantee to process your claim within 10 days. Download the Benefits Checklist to aid your application.
How Benefit/Support is Paid
If you are a Council Tenant your Housing Benefit will be paid straight onto your rent account, we also pay Council Tax Support direct to your Council Tax account.
Other Housing Benefit can be paid by:
- BACS (into a bank account) (this is usually paid 2 weeks in arrears)
- Cheque (this is usually paid two weeks in arrears)
If you are a private tenant we will normally pay you directly unless certain conditions apply LHA Site . If none of these criteria apply to you and you feel that you are vulnerable, and to safeguard your tenancy need the payments to go to your landlord, please complete and return the following form. LHA
Last updated 27/04/2013
Pages in How to Make Your Benefit/Support Claim
- 1. You are here: Claim in Writing
- 2. Backdating Your Benefit Claim